June 02, 2016

Charlottetown, PE: The Bake Sale



Hey.

Monk Buns, amirite?

In this edition of Tory's Slightly Disastrous Travels, Tory encounters something so heartwarming that even her cold, dead heart was a little touched.

Those rolls ("monk buns") were made by student monks at the Great Enlightenment Buddhist Institute Society (GEBIS), founded by Master Zhen-Ru, in Prince Edward Island. They were, from what I gathered, warmly welcomed when they first moved to the Island and have been treated with great kindness ever since; and so, they work hard to give back to the community.

The history of these rolls can be found HERE.

I participated in a bake sale at my new job. All money raised went to a colleague who is currently battling cancer. I'd never met her before, and my supervisor basically voluntold me to help out (of course, I didn't mind).

You guys. I have never seen so many baked goods in a single place before. The sale was held in a board room with a one of those long elliptic conference tables, and it was covered in sugary goodness (and a couple loaves of bread and a single jar of salsa (?)). I cannot impress upon you, Dear Reader, how much goddamn food there was. The fundraiser was a huge success, or so I hear.

As for the rolls, the monks had somehow gotten word of the fundraiser. They donated over 100 rolls, literal boxes of them. How amazing is that?